School education and vocational training are connected with barriers and exclusion risks for young people with physical, cognitive and additional psychological impairments. The number of people with psychological problems and behavioural disorders in vocational training is strongly on the increase. This presents challenges for employers, trainers and teachers, who do not have a sufficient interaction repertoire and are lacking appropriate support.
The present education and support programmes often do not match the requirements of these persons, as they are universally aligned and orient themselves on blanket disability categories and presumed typical deficiencies.
The aim of the project is to develop the personality and the abilities of everyone and enable his participation in society. Until now, aspects of the inclusion have been discussed and tried most intensively in school education, whereas participation in vocational training and work was not in the focus, although this is clearly requested by Article 27 UN
-CRPD. The project implements the main constituents of a new and modern approach to vocational training of people with disabilities: Inclusion, participation, self-determination, empowerment, equal opportunity, accessibility, involvement, and thinking and acting in educational networks are taken into account.
INDIVERSO connects disabled people, self-help organisations, funding bodies of occupational rehabilitation and firms to analyse the demand and to develop a training concept, enabling the target group to successfully complete a vocational training. The concept consists of the following instruments:
1. Training assisting offers for trainees with psychological impairments
2. Further training for teachers and specialists of schools, training facilities and of work and living areas
3. Coach the coach for assisting coaching during vocational training
4. Assisting coaching during vocational training for people with psychological impairments
5. Supervision and coaching offers for teaching personnel and specialists
6. Guidelines for prevention and crisis intervention
7. Information and training offers for firms
8. Setup of regional networks for ensuring successful vocational training of young people with physical or cognitive and additional psychological impairments.
The basis for this concept is a dynamic and interactive model that understands disability as a result of negative feedback of environment and personal factors. Participation is consistently implemented in the project: People with disabilities are at the focus, from the analysis of the necessary support and changed concepts to the assessment of the effects.
For teachers and specialists, the aim is to relay professional handling skills and sensitisation for the individual orientation to the requirements of each trainee. Information and action concepts for successful inclusion of people with psychological impairments will be made available to companies that provide training.
Permanent education, consultation and support structures will be created within the project. The education concepts will be anchored within the information and service structures of the project partners, so that the target groups can make use of the new offers and support in everyday life. The creation of regional networks with employers, youth psychiatrists, integration specialists, case managers and job coaches secures the long-term success.
- Make inclusion possible also for this target group
- Provide impulses for the creation of an inclusive training and job market and thus the improvement in the employment situation
- Bring taboo topics “Psychological impairment, training and employment” to the focus and in doing so, remove stigmatisation, prejudices and misunderstandings
- Sharpen the employer’s awareness and through it, improve the employability of the target group and avoid long term unemployment
- Develop target group specific basic competences of teachers and other specialists
- Implement the political demand for equality and the empowerment approach
Central project aims
- Europe-wide exchange of experiences regarding vocational training and work by people with psychological impairments
- Construct networks
- Improvement of the cooperation of company training sites and educational facilities enabling training that is as close to the company aims as possible
- Development of a training and consultation concept for the target group specific design of training and work
- Furthering of job-relevant competences of people with psychological impairments
- Training courses for specialists
- Creation of sustainable support for schools, other training facilities and companies
- Strengthening of the empowerments attitude
- Inclusion of the people involved as “experts on own affairs”